The Haverstraw Town Board will hold a special meeting at 9:30 a.m. Friday to consider the 2014 tax rates at Haverstraw Town Hall at 1 Rosman Road, Garnerville. Call Town Hall at 845-429-2200 for more information.
I do not see a previous announcement of this meeting and I wonder if this meeting was legal. I was under the impression that Town Board and all public meetings must have notification in the newspaper and public at least 1 week prior to the meeting. This is a violation of the NYS open meetings law, if, in fact, this meeting took place without proper notice. I also have not seen any public hearings on the proposed budget for Haverstraw advertised anywhere. I don’t think it would be possible for the Town to adopt a budget without having public hearings. Could you shed any light on this?
The town followed the required protocol (see below). On Dec.18, the town informed me of the special meeting, which was not scheduled more than a week in advance. I posted the notice on the blog. It was also published on the Dec. 19 Journal News.
§104. Public notice.
1. Public notice of the time and place of a meeting scheduled at least one week prior thereto shall be given to the news media and shall be conspicuously posted in one or more designated public locations at least seventy-two hours before such meeting.
2. Public notice of the time and place of every other meeting shall be given, to the extent practicable, to the news media and shall be conspicuously posted in one or more designated public locations at a reasonable time prior thereto.
3. The public notice provided for by this section shall not be construed to require publication as a legal notice.
4. If videoconferencing is used to conduct a meeting, the public notice for the meeting shall inform the public that videoconferencing will be used, identify the locations for the meeting, and state that the public has the right to attend the meeting at any of the locations.
5. When a public body has the ability to do so, notice of the time and place of a meeting given in accordance with subdivision one or two of this section, shall also be conspicuously posted on the public body’s internet website.
Comments are closed